My research focuses on the biology and impact of plant-parasitic nematodes, with projects that range in scale from tissue culture to the field. My interest is with all aspects of plant-parasitic nematode biology and the diseases they cause of agricultural crops. This includes basic and applied research, education, and outreach via extension programs for growers. I have a keen interest of plant disease risk from nematodes and thier impact on crop yields with emphasis on yield loss analyses.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison - Fall, 2014 to Fall, 2019 (Wisconsin, USA)
- Plant Pathology PhD
- PhD thesis: Characterizing the significance of Pratylenchus penetrans on soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr.).
The Univestiy of Florida - Fall, 2012 to Spring, 2014 (Florida, USA)
- Nematology MS
- MS thesis: Investigation of Belonolaimus longicaudatus infecting peanut in Florida.
Hosei University - Spring, 2008 to Spring, 2012 (Tokyo, Japan)
- Plant Pathology BS
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture - Sept. 2020~ (Nairobi, Kenya)
- position: Guest/Visiting scholar (JSPS overseas research fellow)
- research title: Management strategies against root-knot nematodes for coffee smallholders in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- host researcher: Dr. Danny Coyne
- Saikai, K., Wanjala, S., Oduori, C., and Coyne, D. 2021. Revisiting the modified Baermann extraction method: extraction efficiency of Radopholus similis using different extraction material. Nematology In Press.
- Saikai, K., and A. E. MacGuidwin. 2020. Intraspecific variation in phenological and phylogenetic features among Pratylenchus penetrans isolates from Wisconsin, USA. Journal of Nematology doi.org/10.21307/jofnem-2020-102.
- Saikai, K., and A. E. MacGuidwin. 2020. Difference in lesion formation by male and female Pratylenchus penetrans. Journal of Nematology doi.org/10.21307/jofnem-2020-090.
- Vieira, P., Peetz, A., Mimee, B., Saikai, K., Mollov, D., MacGuidwin, A., Zasada, I., and Nemchinov, L. G. 2020. Prevalence of the root lesion nematode virus (RLNV1) in populations of Pratylenchus penetrans from North America. Journal of Nematology DOI:10.21307/jofnem-2020-045.
- Saikai, K., Z. A. Handoo, and A. E. MacGuidwin. 2019. First report of the root-lesion nematode, Pratylenchus fallax, on soybean in Wisconsin. Plant Disease doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-02-19-0288-PDN.
- Saikai, K., and A. E. MacGuidwin. 2019. First report of the root-lesion nematode, Pratylenchus alleni, on soybean in Wisconsin. Plant Disease doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-03-19-0501-PDN.
- Kutsuwa, K., D. W. Dickson, J. A. Brito., A. Jeyaprakash, and A. Drew. 2014. Belonolaimus longicaudatus, an emerging pathogen of peanut in Florida. Journal of Nematology 47:87-96.
- Takeuchi, J., T. Ono., K. Kutsuwa., K. Morita., M. Sano., S. Kagiwada., K. Yazawa., K. Nishio., and H. Horie. 2012. First report of anthracnose of arthraxon hipidus by Collototichum destructivum and lychee by C. gloeosporioides found in Japan. Annual report of the kanto-tosan plant protection society 59:59-62.
(Some of the publications are under my maiden name, Kutsuwa.)
- Saikai, K., and A. E. MacGuidwin. Loss of soybean yield and yield components to Pratylenchus penetrans in Wisconsin, USA (Manuscript in preparation for Phytopathology).
- Trained for nematode disease diagnostics
- Trained for fungal disease diagnostics
- Experience in SAS and R programming languages
- Trained for Scanning Electron Microscopes
- Schroth Faces of the Future Award: The American Phytopathological Society - 2021
- Rod Rodríguez-Kábana student poster competition 1st place: Organization of Nematologists of Tropical America annual meeting - 2019.
- Student paper competition 2nd place: Society of Nematologists annual meeting - 2019.
- Bayer Graduate Student Travel Award: Society of Nematologists annual meeting - 2019.
- The Walter R. Stevenson Graduate Student Travel Award: The UW-Madison - 2019 .
- Scholarship award from Japan Student Services Organization 2015-2018
- Scholarship award from Japan Student Services Organization 2012-2014
- Bayer Graduate Student Travel Award: Society of Nematologists annual meeting - 2018.
- The Dow AgroSciences Graduate Student Travel Award: Society of Nematologists annual meeting - 2017.
- The ONTA Foundation Travel Award: the 6th International Congress of Nematology - 2014
- T.A. for PL Path/ Botany 123 Plants, Parasites, and People - Fall 2016 (TA evaluation)
- Extension committee of Society of Nematologists – 2018-2019
- Student committee of Society of Nematologists – 2018-2019